Gum Disease Treatment in Byford
Have you been experiencing bleeding gums when you brush your teeth? If so, you may be suffering from gum disease. Gum disease is a serious condition that, if left untreated, can lead to tooth loss and other health problems. At Byford Smiles, we offer high-quality gum disease treatment to help you maintain a healthy mouth.
Gum Disease Treatment Can Prevent Gum Bleeding And Gum Recession
Gum disease is one of the most common causes of tooth loss. Unfortunately, so few people are aware of this disease, which is why, most of the time, by the time patients consult their dentist about gum problems, irreversible damage has already been done to the bone and gums.
Advantages of Gum Disease Treatment
Bad breath is a sign of gum disease. Poor oral hygiene causes plaque and tartar to build up along the gumline. The treatment reduces bad breath and maintains a clean mouth.
Gets Rid of Potential Health Issues.
Your dentist can detect potential health issues from gum disease during your consultation. If not treated early, bacteria can reach your bloodstream and affect your kidneys and liver. Gum therapy can help prevent these conditions.
Relief from Pain.
Infected gums are tender, sore, and painful. Even brushing or flossing your teeth can make you feel uncomfortable, worsening your condition. Gum disease symptoms may be alleviated through proper dental treatment.
Why Our Patients Love Byford Smiles
FAQ's About Gum Disease Treatment
- Deep cleaning. A thorough cleaning is the first step in managing gum disease. Your dentist can perform scaling, which is removal of tartar above and below your gum line. You might also have root planing done. This removes plaque and tartar from the root surface, leaving a smooth surface where your gums can reattach.
- Flap surgery. The surgeon lifts your gums to remove tartar deep underneath your gum line. To help prevent more tartar from forming, the gum is stitched back in place so it is tight around the tooth.
- Chemical Plaque Control. Your dentist may suggest antimicrobial mouthwash, such as chlorhexidine, as part of your daily brushing routine. You swish this in your mouth to help control bacteria. You can buy these mouthwashes over the counter or by prescription.
Plaque is the leading cause of gum disease, so its removal will prevent its occurrence. Tooth brushing helps prevent gum disease by removing plaque. Here are some more tips to help prevent gum disease.
- Brush your teeth twice daily – in the morning and at bedtime.
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between teeth with floss, interdental brushes, or another tool recommended by your dentist.
- Dentures are prone to plaque buildup, increasing gum disease risk. Find out from your dentist how to effectively maintain them.
- Stop smoking.
- Stay away from sugary drinks and foods.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Visit your dentist every six months for a scale and clean.